But the season need not be dreaded! It's warm in our house this year with all kinds of anticipation. The kids are excited to participate. My husband has all kinds of plans up his sleeve to make it a fun Christmas season. We have already indulged in holiday activities. We even spent our Thankgiving vacation in a festive holiday theme park. This year is looking up in the grand picture of Christmases past.
How did the whole home find Christmas again? It's a simple secret....I found Christmas in my heart. Looks like when mom has it, the good spirit spreads. It's a simple secret that is applied throughout the whole year, but doubles when December comes. So, yes, I just made up my mind and made plans to get everyone involved. I wanted the whole 25 days to be celebrated. To my surprise, as soon as I asked, everyone was more than willing - they were coming up with their own plans to make the season bright!
This has been the best week ever! I must share with you the fun things we are doing:
- I am making handmade cards again for the first time in years. You can see from the picture that it is not a quick throw together, so if you want one delivered to your mailbox, you have to put your request in now!
- Taylor and Gavin are actively making presents for their little brother. And for their grandparents. It's wonderful to see them excited to be doing special things for family.
- Finn wakes up every morning singing Jingle Bells. Melts my heart!
- David has taken it upon himself to build Lego tables and platforms to slide under the beds for each of the boys. Guess when everyone decides to get making, so does Dad!
- We started the Elf on the Shelf tradition this year. Finn named him Nickelman. Fun every morning!
- Advent calendars for all. Yes I made that, too!
- The movie "Elf." I watch this one year round and can recite it word for word. The best way to spread Christmas cheer is singing loud for all to hear!
- Pies, cakes, cookies, candy.....oh my!
- We are making fleece tie blankets for the Linus charity that gives handmade blankets to kids in the hospital. Easy to do while we cuddle on the couch watching movies.